BlazBlue (Review?)

Go down

BlazBlue (Review?)

Post  PaperBag on Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:41 pm

Well I'm not really sure where to put this since I'm pretty sure BlazBlue has been ported from the arcades to everything (PS3, XBOX360, PC, PSP, 3DS).
Here's the wikipedia for the first game but basically it's a fighting game, sort of like Street Fighter. IMO it's much better than Street Fighter, gameplay-wise and story-wise. I don't really know anyone who likes this game, it's not publicized so much. Currently there are technically two games out, with a third one on the way. Technically, because the second one's been remade-ish recently.
Onto the review section, I guess? Don't kill me if I'm biased, I won't deny it if you tell me I am.

Gameplay + Content
The gameplay is pretty fun. It's easy to learn, but hard to master. There's a movelist that is accessible any time during a fight (except for online, I think) and it'll show you how to perform various moves. There's also a Beginner mode that... well, makes it beginner friendly. I haven't used it ever tbh, even when I was a complete noob, and if I use it now I won't know what I'm doing at all. In the second game, there's a challenge mode that teaches you how to perform some combos which is really nice... Sometimes it's confusing to go online to look up forums and all you see is like... 236D+6C+C+6C. Haha.
During story mode, there are fights, but between fights there is a visual-novel-like bit that progresses through the story. Whether you win/lose fights, how you win fights, and what you options you choose during the story changes what ending you get. If you want to get the true ending, you need to get 100% story completion for each character. IT'S A LOT OF WORK, but a lot of fun.

9/10 because some people might be turned off by the repetitive story modes, or how difficult some combos can be.

Story
The story itself is pretty complex, and to completely get it on your own you need to play through each character's story mode for different perspectives. I think it's really nice that you can pretty much learn the story from everyone's perspective, with the exception of a few side characters (usually very minor 2-3 appearance characters) and the antagonist (in the first game).

9/10 because of how confusing the story can be at times. (IT REALLY IS A MASTERPIECE OF A STORY THOUGH.)

Graphics
Some people might get turned off from the 2D game sprites, but these are VERY VERY NICE. I've always felt that sidescrolling games + fighters should be 2D anyways. Was so turned off when Street Fighter went 3D. Eh.
The character sprites are really high quality, the frames are really smooth and flow together really well. Love. It.
Besides the characters, there is the background.
The backgrounds are really nice, kind of 3D ish. 2.5D? If you pay attention to the backgrounds you can notice all the details in it and I just... ITS BEAUTIFUL!
On an unrelated note, the arcade machine for BlazBlue at CHQ just makes me mindgasm everytime because it just glows and it is just beautiful and it's- Yeah. It's wonderful.

10/10 because it's a beautiful game, haters can hate.

Sound
The bgm is pretty nice if you take time to listen to it, otherwise you don't really pay attention to it in fights. Each of the bgm's suit what they're made for, and it just fits naturally. I'd listen to it when doing homework or playing an MMO.
The voice acting. It's brilliant, I wish more games would do this. Dual-voice tracks. You can choose between english voicing and japanese voicing. It's awesome. The english voice actors do a pretty good job, though for some characters, I wish they picked someone else (eg. Jin). I play with the japanese voice tracks because I can't stand eng-va Jin... It just sounds wrong LOL. I wish it didn't, it would be pretty awesome to switch occasionally.

10/10 because the music is brilliant, and the voice actors are too.

OVERALL: 9.5/10
If you've read through this, congratulations you've reached the end. Hopefully I've interested people in this great game, so maybe next time you're at the arcade, you can try it. (The arcade machine is almost always empty... Q_Q) I think it's an underrated game, it totally deserves more attention. Looking back on this, I feel a bit biased. Deal with it?
PaperBag
The New Kid

Back to top Go down

Re: BlazBlue (Review?)

Post  Admin on Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:49 pm

Oooh, I play BlazBlue Continuum Shift on the 3DS. It's a nice game, but I don't think it's exactly comparable to Street Fighter (in which, I must say, Street Fighter IV is extremely addictive). They're both different in their own rights, though that's simply my opinion.

I like what you said about the voice actors, though. (laugh) I set my language to Japanese because since I don't understand Japanese, the lines sound cool, so it's better for myself than listening to the lines in English where I understand them and sometimes the lines sound outright corny or sappy.

But underrated game? Nah, I wouldn't say so. I know a couple people who've played it, seen it discussed a few times on bigger forums. People know about it and they like it. Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://geekretreat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  PaperBag on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:01 pm

Well then I just don't know enough people who'd like to vs me. Q_Q
I can't seem to get used to Street Fighter after I've gotten so used to BlazBlue.
The 3DS port kind of sucks compared to the PS3/XBOX versions. I'm also angsting over how they picked the dpad over the thumb pad, or atleast couldn't let you choose which one you use. It gets uncomfortable having to crane your thumb down there.
On an unrelated note, I hate how the stylus for the 3DS is on the left, and not the right. Though, it's a nice change for lefties?
PaperBag
The New Kid

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:15 pm

I'm not surprised the 3DS game wouldn't be so great compared to the home console versions. The 3DS is new, so developers are only learning about all the things they can do with it, or rather, all the things consumers want. I suppose another excuse would be that it's a handheld console, but having played SFIV and OoT on the 3DS, man, there is a lot of potential with that system. So, my point being, the people who made the 3DS version of BlazBlue really didn't really take advantage of the 3DS's capabilities. They could have gone a lot further.

As for the D Pad and the Circle Pad, I really have to agree. When the I first got the 3DS, I thought, "Oh, it has a D Pad and an analog stick thingy, how handy is that?" but now I never use the D Pad, unless playing games that require it, the circle pad is a lot more comfortable. Even for Pokemon it's better. My opinion here may not be shared with many, but I kind of think they should have just eliminated the D Pad altogether.

Eh, well, I don't really know about the stylus's location. Left or right of the port, it still bothers me. I wish it was on the side of the system, like with the DS Lites and DSis.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  PaperBag on Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:33 am

It is new, but also considering that BlazBlue is a 2D game, it's not like there was much that could be done for it 3D-wise. I do agree with the fact that there is a lot of potential for the 3DS itself though. The games have more memory to work with, and the graphics are really nice. I think it just needed more time before the system was released, because the launch games were kinda so-so. It's a shame that it's not doing to well right now, or so I've heard.

I think I agree with you, but removing the dpad would probably make less potential for more games... Like maybe a DDR port to it could happen in the future, and playing that with the circle pad would be weird. Of course there is always the touchscreen, but eh I think it still lacks multi-touch. I think it's too cramped with the dpad and circle pad being a little big. The PSP did it a bit better.
PaperBag
The New Kid

Back to top Go down

Post  Otaku-chan on Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:04 pm

Otaku-chan
Jabberer

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:25 pm

True, it is largely based on 2D graphics and it is a good game... but all I really mean was they should have tried to have been more creative and take advantage of the 3D aspect of the 3DS. I mean, what do people buy a 3DS for? To play DS games? No, to play games in 3D. And the launch games, yeah, they were so-so. The main issue was the lack of Mario, Samus and guys, they didn't have many iconic games out which downed the popularity of the 3DS. However, I have to argue that Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars and Super Street Fighter IV are both incredible games that were included at the launch, and not much longer later, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D came out, which is an amazing game. I find that at this time, not buying a 3DS because of the lack of good games is hardly an excuse. Lack of iconic series, yeah, I understand.

Well, I guess if one wanted to play DDR on it, than sure. But personally, if I wanted to play DDR, I'd just go to the arcade. The PSP, however, is not a good example for comparing to the 3DS. The two systems are set up completely different for different purposes, and not to mention, the PSP's analog stick is utter crap. They hurt, they feel terrible. I love the 3DS's circle pad, it's a nice size and so comfortable. But the crampage going on with the 3DS is so, so true. It's such a pain in the butt.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down